Search This Blog

Monday, October 11, 2010

Kawaii Banana Bread (Adelle handed this down to me)


2 cups sugar
1 cup shortening (or 1 cup vegetable oil)
6 ripe bananas
4 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda

Mix.  Bake in greased pan for 45 to 50 minutes, depending on what kind of pan you use.  I like to make Bundt cakes or bake in a regular cake pan. You can make loaves with this or muffins. Adjust cooking time.

(Freeze your brown bananas)
 TIP:  When you have old bananas, simply throw them in the freezer right in their skins. They keep a really long time that way. When you have enough to make banana bread, set them out on the counter for an hour and then simply cut off the top of the banana and slide the fruit out. It looks very gross and slimy but TRUST ME the browner the banana, the more flavorful the bread.

NOTES: I have always made this with shortening but I recently tried it with vegetable oil and it turned out beautiful. I would replace the shortening with oil as it is much healthier. I also baked this in the convection oven and discovered I need to shorten up the baking time when using that the convection oven. Need to check the bread at about 37 minutes.

HISTORY OF THIS RECIPE: Adelle was my mother-in-law. She was one of the most wonderful women I've ever known. This recipe came from one of her relatives who live in the Hawaiin islands.  I don't know why it's called Kawaii bread. She passed on many recipes to me and we spent a lot of time in the kitchen together. She was a fabulous cook and often my son and I laugh when we think about how much she loved her butter. We miss her very much and wish we could see and hug her just one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment